Monday, June 27, 2011

Samuel Beckett’s Irish Gastro Pub

I went out to this restaurant, located in the Village of Shirlington, one Saturday recently. I was able to book in advance with OpenTable, which I always appreciate as I’m not a big fan of having to call for reservations. Parking in the area was free (in the garage) and easy to find.  I went with a group (note, more than 4) and they had no trouble giving us a nice and private table. The restaurant’s outside was bright red and easy to spot. The layout worked well so it felt like we had our own area. The staff was super friendly and very attentive without hovering. Ordering off the Brunch menu still offered enough breakfast and lunch options to make sure everyone could get what they wanted. Food ranged in the lunch category from salad to traditional Irish fare.
Smoked Salmon Salad

Shepherd's Pie

I ordered the Daily Chowder (Clam that day) and the Bangers ‘N’ Mash (read: Sausages and Potatoes).  
Bangers 'N' Mash

The portions were good for brunch being a larger than one would expect for lunch. The chowder was well done with a nice balance in the cream sauce to accompany the seafood. It certainly tasted homemade. It also came with brown bread, which paired nicely with the soup as well as being able to stand on its own with a sturdy and soft construction and a distinct flavor. The mashed potatoes in the Bangers ‘N’ Mash were excellent although I found the spice in the gravy to be a bit strong for my palate. The rest of the party all enjoyed their dishes and had no complaints.
Traditional Irish Breakfast 

Overall I felt it was a good value; I was able to get my meal, appetizer, and a drink for around 20 bucks. If you go I’d recommend picking one of the Traditional Fare items for the specialty and quality.
For my overall review I give this restaurant 4.25 out of 5 for a good price, fairly easy location, good/ unique food, and excellent service.

1 comment: