Friday, February 3, 2012

Red Hook Lobster Truck


I’ve been meaning to try Red Hook Lobster Pound Truck DC for quite a while. As an original Mainer I am highly picky about my seafood and anything with lobster. That being said, I waited until the lobster truck was near my workplace to try them out. Following them on twitter is really the only way to find them (unless it’s summer and Truckeroo).  The staff is friendly and efficiently, and although the line was long it moved along quite quickly. The line was significantly longer than any other truck in the area, which is always a good sign. I had a lobster roll (Maine style, of course) and a whoopie pie (from Whoopsiepies). 

"Whoopie Pie"

I’m going to start with the whoopie pie and work my way to the lobster roll. I would not recommend the whoopie pies. It was processed and dry, very unfortunate. 

 Maine-style Lobster Roll

The lobster roll was quite good. It was full of claw meat, which was impressive considering that’s ideally what you want but not always what you get. It stayed true to the Maine tradition of butter-toasted hotdog roll. While the actual meat was not a shredded as I’m use to, with that much claw meat I’d be fool to quibble. 

 partially consumed roll, with claw meat visible

The only thing that would have really added to their Maine “cred” would be if they served Moxie, but that would probably be a bad business choice anyway. Overall the roll was excellent, if on the pricey side. This is not a cheap food truck, although I would imagine it’s as much about the experience as anything.
For my overall review I give the food truck 3 out of 5 stars for a good main dish (passable dessert), good service, ever-changing location, and higher price.

No comments:

Post a Comment