Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Eastern Market Crepes

Eastern Market Crepes is one of those food tents that set up on the edge of Eastern Market in downtown DC. Easy access from Eastern Market metro, the only real availability obstacle is that it’s only around weekend in the summer (that I’ve found). It’s a guy making handmade crepes with just about every food combination under the sun. You can choose from one of the standards (which I’d recommend the first time, whoever put the menu together knew what they were doing). All cash transactions, and you put your money into marker wine glasses, so bring exact change or plan to tip. Average price for crepes are 7-8 dollars which is a good price for a very filling meal. Be prepared for a long line though as quite a few people have discovered the crepes. The crepes come straight off the grill and into paper wrapping so make sure to grab some napkins (or a plate!) because it is hot.

Crepe

My favorite flavor combo is from the savory side (my personal preference when it comes to crepes) and is one of the standards. It’s Ham, Apple, Maple, and Munster.  It works well in that you get the savory from the ham and cheese, the sweet from the maple, and a little acid from the apples to even out the flavor. I find it to present a well rounded flavor profile and great for munching while walking around the market.

Ham, Apple, Maple, and Munster Crepe

Overall, the price is very reasonable and the food is amazing, but I wish I was able to get it more than only on weekends in the summer.  When going I’d recommend a savory crepe, and stick to one of the recommended crepes before making your own.
For my overall review I give this “restaurant” 4 out of 5 stars for delicious food, fairly easy location when available, and reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment